Playback details that may matter

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/x ... ckfaq.aspx is an important page that Microsoft should really try to keep out where people can find it.

A few details I don’t remember seeing spelled out before seem worth emphasizing, since people who convert videos so they stream without transcoding need to know what to do:

[list]Q: What features of MPEG-4 Advanced Simple Profile does the Xbox 360 console support?
A: The Xbox 360 console supports bidirectional frames (BVOPs), interlaced frames, quarter pixel motion compensation, global motion compensation, and MPEG quantization.

Q: Does the Xbox 360 console display embedded artwork for MPEG-4 Part 2 or H.264 files?
A: Yes. You can embed artwork smaller than 400 KB in the video files.

Q: What types of AVI files are supported?
A: The Xbox 360 console supports files encoded using MPEG-4 Part 2, Simple Profile and Advanced Simple Profile. These files often are referred to as Xvid or DivX video files. Many common DVD authoring tools, cameras, and camcorders can encode files using MPEG-4. Some files authored for DivX devices also may contain additional functionality (menus, subtitles, multiple audio tracks, and so on). The Xbox 360 console attempts to play these files but doesn’t support any additional functionality. In some cases, it can’t play the file.

Q: Does the Xbox 360 console support 5.1 channel AAC?
A: No. Only 2-channel AAC is supported. If you want to play a 5.1-channel video on your Xbox 360 console, you will need to encode it to WMV with WMAPro 5.1 audio.
[/list:u]

If you are ripping from DVD then I would have thought most programs would allow you to select which track you want and what format to save it in. I have used AutoGK as its free and simple it also lets you hardcode subs so you can watch foreign language films on your 360 (from dvds or avis + subs file). I don’t encode any higher resolution stuff as my computer would take so long it wouldn’t be worth it. I have had a look at xvid4psp which allows you to select xvid hq ultra and ac3 at 384k from a variety of inputs but haven’t used it yet.

If you are coding to MPEG-4 xvid/divx you can use 5.1 sound in Dolby Digital format. If you are using H264 then you are limited to 2 channel AAC and the container must be .mp4, .m4v, mp4v, .mov, .avi not .mkv.
I always wondered if it would be possible to transcode mkvs in realtime if the video stream was left alone and only the audio was converted to aac surely this would be possible on a fairly modest computer as the video processing is the most intensive ?

Do you have any details on how to make the 5.1 divx stuff? Other users might be interested.

I’ve never seen a DirectShow filter that just rebuilt the audio. I guess it’s not high on the list of things to do…

Xbox can’t play MP4 that are larger than 4GB, you have to use WMV.

If you are coding to MPEG-4 xvid/divx you can use 5.1 sound in Dolby Digital format. If you are using H264 then you are limited to 2 channel AAC and the container must be .mp4, .m4v, mp4v, .mov, .avi not .mkv.
I always wondered if it would be possible to transcode mkvs in realtime if the video stream was left alone and only the audio was converted to aac surely this would be possible on a fairly modest computer.If you are planning to buy a Blue Xbox 360, then make sure the read the important reviews and prices.

[Moderator note: The whole blue-360 thing sounds like an ad, which makes it kinda spammy. I’ll let it slide once, but repeated use of that link will be zapped out of on-topic posts…]

I’m betting it’s the 48khz audio. I often have difficulties playing back anything higher than 44.1khz on most devices.

[quote="luizsu6y7"] If you are using H264 then you are limited to 2 channel AAC and the container must be .mp4, .m4v, mp4v, .mov, .avi not .mkv.
[/quote]

I keep seeing this same claim splashed about the web, that 360’s can indeed play H264 with 2 channel audio. Well I have some mp4 files that by these accounts should play on my xbox 360 but they simply don’t. Below is the file information reported by VLC for one of these videos, can you anybody tell me what it is about the file that’s preventing it from playing?

Stream 0
Type: video
Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)
Resolution: 720x404
Frame Rate: 23.97
Decoded format: Planar 4:2:0 YUV

Stream 1
Type: audio
Codec: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a)
Channels: Stereo
Sample rate: 48,000 Hz

File size: 511.5 MB

As far as I can tell this is a H264 codec in an mp4 container with 2 channel AAC audio, yet it simply doesn’t play on my xbox 360, and requires transcoding by TVersity. Furthermore, TVersity doesn’t detect the file as requiring transcoding if my transcoder is set to ‘only transcode when needed’.

Thank you for the troubleshooting.