Moving The Temp (Data) Directory?

Hi,

First off, thanks to the whole TVersity team for providing such great software and support. My question is there any way to move the location of the temp directory to a different drive/partition? I suppose I could just install TVersity on the different drive but I would like to avoid this just so I can keep everything uniform and have programs in the C:\Program Files directory.

Thanks,

Shaun

If you mean the cache area (which is the data folder) then this is not currently possible. We will probably however make it configurable in future releases.

Thanks for the quick reply. I think that would be a feature that some people might use. Keep up the great work.

SB

In the mean time your best bet is to install TVersity on the drive you want it to use instead. :)
// —
Is there a specific reason for not using the ‘temporary files’-directory like any ‘good’ Windows-program is supposed to do ?

I know my C drive always seems to be getting filled, whereas other (usually newer) drives on my system tend to have significantly more space.

I like to keep most applications installed on my C drive, and with the larger temp dir size requirements of TVersity, I think that making the location a user configurable thing would be nice.

[quote]Is there a specific reason for not using the ‘temporary files’-directory like any ‘good’ Windows-program is supposed to do ?[/quote]The Windows temp area has files that may be deleted at any time e.g. by the cleanup wizard that comes with Windows. TVersity’s cache area is not like that since some of the files are represent media that is used right now by some media hub and deleting it will be fatal. In order to better protect this media and in order to easily offer some cache management featutres (such as automatic cache size management) we decided to use a separate area. This is kind of like how browsers keep their Internet temporary files in a separate area.

Any plans to implement this feature yet? It’s been over 4 years! :)

I installed TVersity onto my SSD but I want to move the Temp Data folder to a different drive so that I can save space (constantly thrashing SSDs can degrade their performance over time).

Hmm as a quick fix, would a "symbolic link" work… or not?

Thanks,

I agree, please implement the ability to specify the location of the data folder. I install all apps to one drive and locate data on another for performance and security, and tversity is the only app that doesn’t support this ability.

I was just wondering if this feature was going to be implemented any time soon?

I am asking because I have the same issue with the temp folder and my C:\ runs out of space.

I would install it on a different drive but I do not get a request to change folder locations (Do not know if its because I have Vista) but the option to change the location manually after install would be a nice addition to the application.

I have a 2TB Drive that I have just for my DVD’s i own and music i own… pleanty of space to setup a temp folder there for the transcoded videos etc for streaming to my 360.

The process is very simple and done in a matter of seconds. Press Windows Pause (Break) and click on the Advanced tab.get complete information security+ dumps
Click the Environment Variables button on the bottom and another window opens showing all variables. The important ones for use are the TMP and TEMP user variables.

neb wrote:

Hmm as a quick fix, would a "symbolic link" work… or not?

Perhaps the following will serve for "symbolic link" …

In Win Xp, at least, a disk partition can be mounted "over" an empty folder in the existing file structure; this is in addition to, or instead of, the more common MS-world practice of mounting by assigning drive letters.

In this way the TVersity data folder can stay where it is in the logical file structure, but be "fulfilled" by a completely independent disk area. Just go to the manage tool (on the my computer right-button menu), select the partition you want to hold the data, and invoke the change drive letter or path function (again a right-button menu item).

Before carrying out the operation, though, stop the TVersity server and move all the contents of the original data folder to (the top level of) the target partition. Then after the mount, restart the server.

The process is very simple and done in a matter of seconds. Press Windows Pause (Break) and click on the Advanced tab. Click the Environment Variables button on the bottom and another window opens showing all variables. The important ones for use are the TMP and TEMP user variables.

There is no way to move the temp folder.

Your best bet is to reinstall the application to change the location of the temp folder (as it is located in the root folder of the TVersity install).

If you are running XP you should be able to choose the install location during the install process.

On Windows Vista/7, before you run the installer, follow these steps:

1. Right click on installer
  2. Select Properties
  3. Click the Compatibility tab
  4. Enable compatibility and select Windows XP (SP3) from the drop down list
  5. Run the installer.
    It will ask where you would like to install the app and will change the location of the temp folder

Done :)

I have moved the temp “data” folder to another location on Windows 10 using the mklink command available since Windows 7.

I am using an old version of Tversity which is a white label provided by my cable operator, therefore I can’t ensure the same process will work for you.

Locate your data folder it was at: C:\ProgramData[whitelabel]\data for me.
Create a folder on another location where you want the temp files to be.
In the Tversity app, do: Tools -> Delete Temporary Files
Delete the “data” folder which should now be empty.
Run “cmd” as admin and execute:
mklink /d “C:\ProgramData[whitelabel]\data” X:\newfolder

verify that a new “data” folder is created as a symbolic link. Test streaming.
Enjoy disk space, Arik.